Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Thousand Mornings

Title: A Thousand Mornings
Author:  Mary Oliver
Publisher: Penguin
ISBN: 9781594204777
Why Read?: Book Club
Challenges: Free Reads, 100 Books in a Year

Thoughts: This is a slim volume of beautiful poetry. Maybe it is because of the title, but all of the works had a misty feel to them, like morning often do. Some of my favorites were “And Bob Dylan Too”, “The First Time Percy Came Back”, “Hum, Hum”, and “I Have Decided”. But my favorite, although it truly made me tear up, was “‘For I Will Consider My Dog Percy’” which was Oliver’s spin on Christopher Smart’s “For I Will Consider My Cat Jeoffry”. While these were my favorites, every poem in the collection makes for wonderful reading and reflection.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment