Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Help

Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Publisher: Amy Einhorn
ISBN: 9780399155345
Why Read?: Book Club
Challenges: Borrowed Books, Books to Movies, Vacation Reads, 100 Books in a Year

Thoughts: Everyone has been talking about The Help, I can see why. This novel is phenomenal, and I cannot wait to see the movie next month (I will add a review of it to this for the Books to Movies Challenge). Stockett presents a tough topic is a charming manner, excellently capturing the voices of all three of her protagonists. This is the type of book that just begs to be discussed, making it an excellent book club pick.
Rating: 5 stars

Books to Movies Challenge: The Help movie was definitely worth it. Yes, some things had to be changed so that it could work in a movie storyline, but all that was to be loved was still there. I am so glad that Hilly's mother had a larger role - she totally cracked me up.

Vacation Reads Challenge: 1960s Mississippi is so far removed from the way that I grew up that I would love to travel back in time and down South to really experience it.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience with the book - loved it! Still trying to make it to the movie... all our babysitters have been really busy. Can't wait to see it!

    Great choice for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete